Gingerbread cookies are loved the world over and have been baked for the Christmas season for centuries. This is the Estonian spin on the gingerbread cookie. Piparkoogid, actually translates to ‘pepper bread’ (even though there is no pepper in the recipe) and is usually decorated with royal icing.Visit our "Top 10 Christmas Markets in Europe (Start Planning Your Holiday Trip to Europe!)" post – https://thecultureties.com/christmas-markets-in-europe
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup Golden Syrup or dark molasses
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a bowl combine all the dry ingredients with the spices and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, on medium speed, cream together the butter and sugar, until smooth and fluffy.
- Lower the speed to low and add the egg and golden syrup, and mix until combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients until a consistent dough forms.
- Remove the dough and divide into 2 balls, wrap in cling film and place in refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment or silicon mats.
- Remove 1 dough ball from the fridge and on a lightly floured surface roll out to about 1/8 inch thickness. Gather scraps and re-roll to form more cookies.
- Using your favorite cookie cutters, cut as many cookies as you can and place on a cookie sheet.
- Repeat with the second ball of dough, or if baking in batches, wait until the first batch is cooked.
- Bake for approximately 12-14 mins, rotating the cookie sheet midway through baking.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 5 mins, before transferring to wire rake to cool completely.
- Decorate with royal icing or colored store-bought icing.
- Store in an airtight tin and enjoy over the festive season.
- Calories: 5,200
- Carbohydrates: 724 grams
- Fat: 229 grams
- Protein: 52 grams
- Fiber: 15 grams
- Sugar: 331 grams