There are many types of ceviches worldwide, with every country claiming theirs is the best. The main tenant of them all, is that the seafood is ‘cooked’ by the use of some type of citrus. The normal cooking method of using heat, denatures the proteins in meat or fish. In the case of ceviches, that is done by the citric acid in the juice. Peruvian ceviche is all about bold, spicy, colorful ingredients. It is normally served with plantain chips and plain boiled or roasted sweet potato wedges. In Peru, ceviche has been declared to be part of The "national heritage" and has had a holiday declared in its honor. Enjoy our variation of ceviche/cebiche.Visit our National Hispanic Heritage Month post – https://thecultureties.com/national-hispanic-heritage-month/.
- 1.25 lbs of white filleted fish – Mahi Mahi, Sea-bass, Monk Fish or Flounder
- 2 limes
- 2 lemons
- 1 small red onion
- 2 red chili peppers Depending on how spicy you want it, use Habanero, Thai, or Jalapeño
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup fresh yellow corn kernels
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Thoroughly wash the limes and lemons to remove wax from skins. Then squeeze into a large bowl. (Avoid seeds)
- Slice and cut fish into approximately 1” cubes and add to lime and lemon juice. Cover with cling film and put in refrigerator for 10 mins. Toss the fish after this, cover and return to fridge for another 10 minutes.
- While the fish is in the fridge, thinly slice the red onion into thin strips.
- Devein and de-seed the peppers and cut into small dice pieces.
- Wash and finely chop the cilantro.
- Remove the fish from the refrigerator and combine with the corn kernels, sliced onion, peppers, and cilantro. Cover and chill for another 10 mins.
- To serve, spoon into small cups or bowls and serve with wedges of sweet potato and plantain chips.
Red onion – after slicing your onions, you can soak them in cold water for 15 minutes to take away the strong, raw onion flavor and make them milder and crisper. NUTRITIONAL FACTS
- Calories: approximately 400-600 calories.
- Carbohydrates: 25-40 grams
- Protein: Approximately 50-70 grams
- Fat: 5-15 grams