What could be better than a dessert bar that you don't have to bake? The Nanaimo Bar is named after the city of Nanaimo, British Columbia. It consists of three layers: a cookie, nut (pecans, walnuts, or almonds), and coconut crumb base; custard icing in the middle; and a layer of chocolate ganache on top.Many varieties exist, consisting of various types of crumb, various flavors of icing (such as peanut butter or coconut, mocha, etc.), and various types of chocolate. The crumb in most recipes is made with crushed graham crackers, but you can substitute it with various other store-bought cookies such as Biscoff, animal crackers, Digestive Biscuits, or for a slightly salty flavor crushed pretzels! Most recipes also call for Birds Custard Powder (available online), but you can also use vanilla pudding mix. If using vanilla pudding, use the same amount as you would custard powder.Visit our "What Is A Canadian Thanksgiving All About?" post – https://thecultureties.com/canadianthanksgiving/
Layer 1 – The Base
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 cups crushed graham crackers
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts walnuts, pecans or blanched almonds
Layer 2 – The Filling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- 3½ tbsp Birds Custard powder or vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups sifted confectioner’s sugar
Layer 3 – The Topping
- 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate block or chips
- 2 tbsp butter
Layer 1 – Instructions
- Using a double boiler or bowl over simmering water, combine the butter, sugar and cocoa powder until well mixed.
- Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the beaten egg, be careful the mixture is not too hot or you will scramble the egg.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and combine. Using a large spoon or palette knife, press the mixture evenly into a 9×9 pan lined with parchment paper. Place in refrigerator and chill for about 15 – 20 minutes..
Layer 2 – Instructions
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together, and when well mixed add the custard powder and combine. If the custard/pudding appears a little too thick for spreading, add about a tablespoon of milk or heavy cream.
- Remove the base from the fridge and spread the custard mixture on top of the cookie base. Return to the refrigerator and chill for about an hour.
Layer 3 – Instructions
- In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate and stir in the butter. Mix until smooth.
- Remove the base/tin from the fridge.
- Remove pan from the heat and carefully pour the melted chocolate over the filling and place tin back in refrigerator and chill for 2-3 hours.
- Cut the into equal sized squares and enjoy!!
If you like salted caramel, you can also sprinkle a little sea salt or kosher salt on top of the chocolate before placing in the fridge. NUTRITIONAL FACTS
- Total Calories: Approximately 6,250 calories
- Total Carbohydrates: Approximately 672 grams
- Total Fat: Approximately 396 grams
- Total Protein: Approximately 75 grams