The Alsatian Christmas biscuits. The bredele are also a must in Alsace for Christmas. According to legend, there are as many different recipes as there are Alsatians. They are prepared during the Advent season with friends or family. Anyone who wants to respect tradition makes different varieties and keeps them in an old biscuit tin.Cinnamon stars are one of the many varieties of bredele. Here is a recipe for you!Thank you Noël à Strasbourg for the use of this recipe – https://noel.strasbourg.eu/en/saveurs-noel-alsacienVisit our "Top 10 Christmas Markets in Europe (Start Planning Your Holiday Trip to Europe!)" post – https://thecultureties.com/christmas-markets-in-europe
For the dough:
- 1 cup + 1 Tablespoon (250g) ground almonds
- 1 cup + 1 Tablespoon (250g) icing sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 egg whites
For the icing:
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 cup (160g) icing sugar
- Place all the ingredients for the dough in a large mixing bowl. It is best to start with the dry ingredients and add the egg whites last.
- Put one night in a cool place.
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of approx. 1 cm.
- For the icing, beat the egg whites until stiff, then add the icing sugar.
- Cut out small stars from the dough and coat with a fine layer of icing sugar. Let the icing dry a little.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 338°F (170°C) for convection oven, for approx. 10 minutes.