There are a few variations on how you can spell Aebleskiver, Æbleskiver (Danish spelling), Ebelskiver, Pancake Puffs, or Pancake Balls, as well as, variations on how you can fill these fried round battered puffs, similar to donut holes. The name is actually translated to 'Apple Slices', which was in the original recipe. Nowadays, the apples in the recipe are no longer the norm. Experiment and have fun by adding your own variation of nuts, cooked bacon, chocolate chips, jam inside, etc. To make Aebleskiver you require a special pan, usually made from cast iron or heavy non-stick. It is nearly impossible to make without the correct pan. Please visit the Culinary section of Shop My Favorites for this special pan – https://thecultureties.com/shop/.Visit our "Top 10 Christmas Markets in Europe (Start Planning Your Holiday Trip to Europe!)" post – https://thecultureties.com/christmas-markets-in-europe
- 2 eggs whites and yolks separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons butter melted, plus extra for the pan
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Whisk egg whites, by hand or using stand mixer to stiff peaks.
- In a separate large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Combine egg yolks, buttermilk and melted butter and whisk together.
- Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and mix to form batter.
- Gently fold egg whites into batter. Try not to deflate the whites. Batter will be fairly thick.
- Heat the Aebleskiver over medium high heat. Brush each cavity with melted butter.
- Add 1/4 cup of batter to each cavity in pan.
- As soon as the batter starts to bubble around the edges, if adding an piece of apple, this is when you would add the apple use a wooden skewer or chopstick to flip over. The uncooked batter will flow and fill the cavity.
- Continue to cook and turn again until all the batter is cooked and golden brown.
- Transfer to a serving plate and dust with powdered sugar. Serve with jam of your choice or honey.
- Enjoy with a glass of mulled wine!!
- Calories: 1,941
- Carbohydrates: 236 grams
- Fat: 79 grams
- Protein: 50 grams
- Fiber: 7 grams
- Sugar: 30 grams